Thursday 12 January 2012

Object/Body: Critical Appraisal

The Object project was one I found particularly hard. Still life isn’t a subject I found particularly interesting previously, and so I didn’t find myself really getting into the project. I decided to look at the idea of being a student, and the struggles that come with it. My initial inspiration for the project was the work of Andy Warhol, in particular his work “Campbell’s Soup Cans”. The repetitiveness of the pieces was very similar to what I found eating as a student was like. I then looked at Martina Mullaney’s work, called dinner for one, which looked at the eating habits of people who lived alone. Trying to show this in the studio was tricky. I used a single light to emphasize this feeling of being alone, whilst making a mess with the food to show the little respect for cleanliness students have.

The body project was probably the most enjoyable, and I think my most successful project. I started looking at the social status that comes with being tattooed, but my project evolved into how the public and employers view tattoos, and the discrimination shown towards them. I looked at the work of Richard Avedon, who’s work “In the American West” heavily inspired the styling of my pieces. I chose to present my work as a diptych, one image showing someone covering their tattoos, whilst the other showing them off. The point of the images is to show how differently people are seen when they have tattoos, and how we see them when we don’t know they have them. I found my model at a local hardcore gig in Chatham, and he was more than happy to help me with the project. I was happy with the final images, but I would have liked to have explored different ways of representing this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment