Tuesday 6 March 2012

Environment: Critical Appraisal Resubmission

My idea evolved throughout this entire project. I started looking at how much of the environment we use, wether it be land or resources. I looked at photographers who focused on the environment, such as Edward Burtynsky, and his work around the industrial parts of China. Since then with my reshoot, ive started looking not at just how much we use, but also how much we waste, and the disregard there is for the environment, especially in more industrial places. This idea took me to the island of Sheppy, which is full of factories and business that flood the air with gasses on a daily basis. I went around the smaller companies, and the lands around their factories to see the state in which they were kept, and was shocked to see how little they care about the immediate environment.

My final images were all taken in the small town of Queenborough on the Isle of Sheppy. I shot on medium format, as i wanted to capture as much detail in the surroundings as i could. I would have liked to have shot on large format, but i had to be fairly quick as some of the places i went to werent open to the public. I tried to vary the content of my images, whilst keeping to the theme, and i felt that i have done that quite well. Having to resubmit this project really gave me the opportunity to look into the subject more, and take it alot more seriously.
I plan on contuining this study into the environment beyond this project, as it is a subject that intrigues me.

Some of the things i would like to have done better with this project, is to plan my time and shoots better. I struggled with orginizing shoots and getting out and taking pictures. I would also like to have travelled further afield, and documented a greater variety of this type of waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment