Wednesday 2 November 2011

Environment: The Shoot

Due to technical issues i had with the medium format camera i borrowed, i had to redo my shoot with my 35mm camera. The location for this was around the banks of rochester. I wanted to try and show the poor conditions of the area, and how much of it is dominated by industrial buildings.



These are my selected negatives from the shoot. As i was not able to get into the darkroom to print my images, i have had to digitally scan them, and adjust the final colours in photoshop. This has meant i was able to adjust the images far more than i could in the darkroom, but digital images are no where near as good as proper prints.


My first final image was of the river itself. Due to the large amount of traffic that passes through the river, as well as the disgusting amount of rubbish that is thrown into it by people, the water is murky and void of visible life. I chose to leave the rough border left by the negative scanner as i felt this emphasised the destruction of the environment i was trying to show. I have adjusted the colours slightly, giving the image a blue tint.

My second image is again from the banks of the river. This time i wanted to show how much of this land is being developed on rather than being conserved. I found the men at work sign lying around from a previous  construction site, and propped it up against the fence.

My final image is trying to show the relation between this area and the town that is steadily growing onto it. As this seems to be one of the last undeveloped areas around Rochester, it was perfect to show this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment