Wednesday 2 November 2011

Object: The Shoot

My object shoot was pretty straightfoward on paper, but when it came down to it, it took a long time and was hard to setup. I started by setting up my shot as i had planned it in my original sketch.

After setting up my still life like this, i quickly realised that there was no need for the second light source. After taking two photos, i really wasnt happy with how the image looked. It didnt really portray the student lifestyle that i wanted it to, it looked more like an advert for the beans. I decided that i needed to make it look messy, like a student had prepared the meal.

I had to be careful not to get any mess on the backdrop, so i uced some disposable white table mats to protect it. I then re arranged my lighting, as i was getting to much fall off lighting the backdrop. To do this, i had to susspend a flash directly above the subject using a boom stand, weighted to balance the flash. To further limit the light that was faling onto the background, i used a medium honeycomb. 







This was my final image:
 

As i couldnt get into the darkroom, i made a digital scan of the negative, and used photoshop to adjust the colours, to give me an idea of what i would like to do in the studio. I felt that giving the image a blue tint would emphasize the feeling of lonliness i had tried to make with the lighting.

Overall, i'm pleased with my final image. I think that if i had planned more ahead with my subject matter, and maybe put the subject into a location to give it context, then i would have been more sucessful with puting my point across.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Josh,

    Messing up the plate certainly adds to the context you describe! The area where I thnk you can reflect more on the project is the concept of loneliness. I am not sure that the image has quite captured this idea. If you revisit your sources of inspiration and look at the lighting and spatial organization the notion of time becomes evident. Time and space are often linked- How does this idea of time enforce the concept of loneliness? M

    ReplyDelete